Discover His heart: His grace and goodness are immeasurable, His love unfailing
“Would anyone like to share a testimony tonight of what God has done in your life this past week?” Those of us who remember hearing this invitation from our pastor during a Wednesday or Sunday night service are probably over 50 years old. At that invitation, church members would stand and give a testimony. As a little girl, I enjoyed hearing testimonies of miracles, healing and provision straight from the mouths of people I knew.
Yes, sometimes Sister So and So would go on and on for quite a while and share much more than was needed, and as churches grew in size, it was difficult to hear what was being said. But the testimony service seemed to build a foundation of faith in me – God is faithful, He will not fail me, and He loves to bless His children. Today I love when my pastor calls someone up front to share about the goodness of the Lord, and I love the testimony of David in our reading today.
@ Psalm 145
“Great is the Lord! He is most worthy of praise! No one can measure his greatness… Your awe-inspiring deeds will be on every tongue; I will proclaim your greatness. Everyone will share the story of your wonderful goodness; they will sing with joy about your righteousness.” (3,6-7) Well, it’s testimony time! Regardless of the difficult challenges we may be facing at the moment, there is always something that will stir us to give praise and glory to our God. Just in case we need a reminder, David supplied us today in verses 8-20 with some thoughts that should encourage our testimony of praise:
- The Lord is merciful and compassionate,
- Slow to get angry
- And filled with unfailing love.
- The Lord is good to everyone.
- He showers compassion on all his creation.
- All of your works will thank you, Lord,
- And your faithful followers will praise you.
- They will speak of the glory of your kingdom;
- They will give examples of your power.
- They will tell about your mighty deeds
- And about the majesty and glory of your reign.
- For your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom.
- You rule throughout all generations.
- The Lord always keeps his promises;
- He is gracious in all he does.
- The Lord helps the fallen
- And lifts those bent beneath their loads.
- The eyes of all look to you in hope;
- You give them their food as they need it.
- When you open your hand, you satisfy the hunger and thirst of every living thing.
- The Lord is righteous in everything he does;
- He is filled with kindness.
- The Lord is close to all who call on him, yes, to all who call on him in truth.
- He grants the desires of those who fear him;
- Hears their cries for help and rescues them.
- The Lord protects all those who love him, but he destroys the wicked.
Our testimony service has gone on and on, but my faith is renewed! I am reminded that God is faithful, He will not fail me and He loves to bless His children. Our testimonies are powerful tools, building faith in us and touching the hearts of others as well, giving the power to overcome the enemy. Revelation 12:11 gives insight to the cause of our future victory, “And they overcame [the enemy] by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony.” (KJV) I’m wondering, does anyone have a testimony today of what God has done in your life? I’m certain you do.
Moving Forward: “My mouth shall speak the praise of the LORD: and let all flesh bless his holy name forever and ever.” (KJV 21)
Tomorrow @ Song of Solomon 3-4